Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Diskin 30th Edition







Thanks Mollie (and Missy)!
This cake went through alot to get to this point...first of all, it was supposed to be a 14" square, but when I got to Michael's to buy the pan, they were out! So, I used a 16"X 11" or so sheet pan I already had at home. I originally was using a smaller sheet pan & going to double up, so I baked the 4 cakes for that. I decided to bake my mom a belated birthday cake as well....I was getting ready to ice her cake & this cake. I always taste a bit of the cake I trim off while leveling the layers...I tasted hers and instantly knew something was off! I had left the sugar out of all 4 cakes!!! So at almost 9 pm last night, I had to start all over when I should have been starting decorating. So, I finally get to bed late (actually this morning) and get up this morning to decorate. In the middle of decorating, I run out of powdered sugar & eggs for the royal icing...this is about 12:00 and I have to deliver the cake at 1:30. I rush to Broxton to pick up the extra stuff...Dollar General is out of p.sugar, so I rush to Broxton Grocery. I finally make it back home. I am still piping royal icing grass (developed some extra muscles I think doing this!!) and have yet to finish the baseball decorations. At 1:40, I have the cake in the car finally although I didn't get a chance to even brush my own hair or change clothes. =D I'm hoping that she hasn't given up on me getting the cake there since I'm already late. On the way to Douglas, I stop and get out to check the cake...and realize it is melting!!! Hot weather, high humidity, and icing doesn't mix well. I make it to Douglas by about 2 pm and we decide the best option is for me to take the cake back home and redecorate...I'm such a perfectionist myself and definitely wouldn't want to pay money myself for a melting cake. =) I went home & made extra thick royal icing to avoid another meltdown. Anyway, all is well in the end...or at least I hope so since it still has another hour's drive almost. I'm thinking (and praying) it'll be fine though. =)



No comments: